Re: {Chrysler 300} Fuel filters for the C

Re: {Chrysler 300} Fuel filters for the C

Some comments here regarding both fuel filter elements and also power steering hoses.  First off the number for the entire fuel filter assembly from Carter is (F2159S) and the element is (30-82).  In checking eBay I see other numbers but the items look the same as my inventory which are not for sale.

Experiences I've had with these are be very careful as the glass bowl is easy to crack and also sometimes the seal at the top gets messed up and will also leak.  I've experienced with one car a very hard start issue and thought there was a possible hole somewhere as constant bubbles were visible in the filter bowl.  The element looked fine as it should and really have very little mileage on it.  BUT I suspect because it was very old inventory the element became blocked.  I removed the element and the car started immediately with no bubbles.  At that point I mounted a more modern inline metal filter along the frame where the fuel line travels.  Never another problem.  So everything looks correct unless you look close and don't see an element in the bowl.  To date all of my other Chryslers work without fault but should I experienced the issue again I'll follow the procedure I've stated above.

Now on to the Power Steering Hose issue.  One needs to do a bit of research and don't rely on the parts guy or a catalog.  Years ago I blew a PS hose on our C300 at a Concours no less.  It turned the engine bay into a real mess.  Of course I could find no hose to fill my need but with a bit of looking at our cars I realized that the hose was the same with the possible exception of the fitting at the pump end being either male or female.  This was an easy change as you can cut the incorrect fitting off for your application and flare the end or better yet simply replace that fitting that goes into the pump with the appropriate one.  I was lucky as I had a couple on the shelf and made the change in minutes.

I kept the boxes from two of the previous change outs on this hose which was a Continental 14064 and cross references on the box as follows:  Gates 35272, Everco 66616 and Omega 496.  At the time that particular application showed for a 1957 Chrysler yet I used in on a 1955 C300.  Currently we have five Chryslers ranging from 1953, 54, 55, 56 and 1957.  Guess what, the all take the same hose with exception of that possible pump ending nut.  I've been told that the years go beyond that but cant verify.  The length on these is just over 33 inches and the reducer is midway along with metal ends and the fittings.

Last Friday as fate would have it this hose started leaking in our 300B so I called a friends daughter who works at a NAPA store and gave her all of the numbers.  I plan on installing it tomorrow afternoon or Monday.  Cost on this is far below the prices I've head listed in this conversation.  Also I've had hoses custom made event with the reducer and still experienced the vibration in the wheel when turning the wheel at a low speed.

In closing I urge all of you to think out of the box and usually you can find what you are in need of.  Hope this info is of some assistance.

John Lazenby