Re: {Chrysler 300} 300H breaker plate.

Hi to all — it us speedway , not Speedmaster for distributors — Sorry

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 16, 2022, at 7:45 AM, John Grady <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Bill ,
That is probably an attempt to replace the ground wire that ( stock) runs from a rivet on the under point plate to the moving plate the points mount to  . It often breaks off —you need it — as ground current through the ball bearing pits the bearing balls . . I have soldered a wire like that — but you need super flexible wire sold on amazon with a silicone outer coating , remove the insulation . Ultra fine stranding . The same wire roll is good to rebuild the lead from points to terminal or even no terminal and out to coil like later distributors.( needs rubber grommet)  if terminal missing . You cannot use regular stranded wire it restricts movement too much and breaks .

While text below is mainly A block , hemi , this is my experience

Heat the plate up with big iron get rid of terrible workmanship . Maybe drill tiny hole or drill rivet  solder new wire neatly in it . Be sure no interference

FYI the high quality auto lite dual  point distributors were  fairly common on mopar ( all 331) . The good one with dual
Points has a large open ball bearing for vacuum advance motion which keeps points perfectly centered on cam . The balls often rust , makes it useless , although some can be brought back to turn free with cleaning oil etc .
The cheap later ones use a pivot to one side , it then  slides on two or three bronze points . Crude. Gap varies with vacuum.
I think all the ball bearing ones are the same parts within block families although might be two diameters of opening in middle ( vague memory ) and different generations of cap and rotor height ( beware ).
300 specific parts would be springs maybe weights , and the spinning cam ( the slot length on it for weights varies , controls max advance ) .
The vacuum advance can spec varies , but variations  ( imho) not super critical . It is there just for gas mileage .
You might look on eBay and for hemi hot heads swap meet , get another whole distributor , pull what you need . I found a nos 55 dodge one for 60!$ jumped on it , same parts .
B block no good for hemi - spin opposite way ( I am talking A block ) . B block duals are much more rare.hi po only .
Another good answer especially for B block imho is Speedmsster B block electronic kit . Thing is beautiful incudes s Greatly improved coil and beautiful billet aluminum distributor under 200 $ .
If non stock is an option ..
hope this info helps , I do not personally  know if any B blocks outside of lettercars , max wedge and hemi had dual points ? Anyone know? I also do not know if breaker plate from A fits B , I doubt it. As vacuum pulls it opposite way .
John g
Ps Don Verity May be able to help you .

Sent from my iPhone