{Chrysler 300} Spark plugs

With all the spark plug talk lately , please allow me to throw an anecdote out there for you.
A number of years ago, a friend asked me to tune up his car….a 1972 Chrysler Newport with a 400 2 bbl motor. The car seemed to be running ok, but he wanted me to do it because it had been so long. So I procured all the necessary stuff like plugs, wires, cap, rotor and all filters.
Beginning the task, I began to remove the spark plug for #1 cylinder. Man, it was a hard go. I thought I was going to snap the plug in half. It was the same on all the cylinders.
The problem…..the previous “tuner” had installed the longer reach N series plug instead of a J series. The longer nose protruding deeply into the combustion chamber had caused the threads to become loaded with products of combustion. Thus upon removing the plug you had to thread through the mess. Fortunately, due to the low compression, the pistons did not kiss the plugs on initial startup. I of course installed the correct plugs, J 13 or 14 Y if I recall.
The lesson…..if someone other than you tunes your RB motored letter car, please assure they have the right plugs. You see, accidents can and do happen

Happy New Year
Guy Morice

Sent from my iPhone

---