Re: {Chrysler 300} K Spark plugs and Alternator gauge

Re: {Chrysler 300} K Spark plugs and Alternator gauge

Closing this out , alternator cannot raise voltage to over 14 or so until battery is close to fully charged . That is how it ( battery ) works .
So voltage  is  NOT an indicator of charge , except when charging at a high rate , or at very end of charge process . As long as over 12.6-12.8  it is in process of charging , just like yours .at 13 . Xx —voltage stays pretty flat from about 20% to 90 % AH charge as it absorbs ampere hours , alternator is pushing hard . Then near end it will rise to 14.5 or more which tells VR to cut back , then needle will drop .
So when you see 14.5 or 15 v that is only on a fully charged  battery , which is how it is most of the time after driving and idling . Only takes a few minutes —-right after a start —you will see ammeter go way up , then drop back . Say 300 A for a minute ,to start  that  is 1/60 hour x 300 = 5 AH to start if you crank a minute ( usually only seconds ) 5 AH at  say 40 A out is only 1/8 hour , 7 minutes full again and reading 15 v .
So if battery down it will / May take hours to do that .
Differences in swing etc are just different VR tolerances etc . It is working fine  .. not that critical a thing .
Don’s point about ammeter nuts getting loose is very true . Something else to check , burns up ammeter
Ps ever notice a “ dead battery “ will still read 12.6 volts , will light the dome light , but will not crank car . No AH in it but 12.6 v .
Sent from my iPhone