RE: {Chrysler 300} 62 Sport 300 - 3 speed manual trans

RE: {Chrysler 300} 62 Sport 300 - 3 speed manual trans

Looking at this thread I got kind of curious as to what the differences that came down the pike from the 1940’s to the 1960’s on these transmissions.

Keep in mind that I have rebuilt several the 1946 to 1956 MOPAR three speeds. All of them with the Borg Warner overdrive.

In fact, I have one on my bench right now that I am putting together.

I flipped open the 1964 Master Parts book and looked over the diagrams. What struck me was that the 426 three speed and the big block 4 speed both use the older (pre 1953 or about) rocker style synchromesh plates rather than their replacements which was the pin type.

The transmission with the top plates in 1964 used the pin type. This suggests that the rocker plate type was considered more heavy duty.

The 1964, and presumably the 1962, if it is the side cover type is functionally identical to the older three speed transmissions.

That being the case, I can provide a couple of observations.

The gear (2nd in the older versions) that rides on the flutes of the main shaft have an issue. The ends of the flutes on the shaft wear. What happens is that even with an NOS gear when you put the thickest snap ring on you can find on it the gear will not fall at or near the endplay specification. Even the old Chrysler literature tells you to have that gear near the bottom end of the specification or you will get some noise out of it sooner then you like.  In my case, I have had to take a NOS gear and have it hard chromed on the thrust side to make up the difference. Works well but takes time and money.

In fact on the trans I am working on I have an NOS main shaft and a NOS second gear and it falls outside of the endplay specification! The tolerances were just not held close on these parts. My point being is that to do one of these transmissions properly, be prepared to double check all the clearances even with new parts. If you do the end result is a silky smooth pleasure to drive. If you cut corners, it will come back to bite you or it will start making noise in 20K miles.

The other thing I learned is that SKF via their aftermarket portal will sell you directly most of the bearings that you need. The bearing houses do not stock or catalog the automotive distribution channels of the bearing makers and the auto part stores are now all application driven.

Often one group or the other group or both tell you that they do not have the bearing you need. But, if you get the number off the bearing and put it into the SKF system, you can hunt it down and via their aftermarket direct site you can order it, pay for it, and have it shipped directly to you.

Good luck on the manual trans work.

James