RE: {Chrysler 300} 62 Sport 300 - 3 speed manual trans

That’s funny I have a 57 D500 in my garage with a 3 speed. From what I know VERY rare. My uncle bought it new in 57, I have a half dozen trannys in the basement with no low gear. He would take it to the drag strip and come home in second and high. The car is all original, he had a couple of Ford trannys that he said he had bought to swap into it but it was never even started. Interesting to hear another person’s similar experience on something so rare.

From: chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Grady
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2023 8:46 PM
To: Donald Verity
Cc: schroe99@xxxxxxxxxxxx; rob bohuslav; Chrysler 300 Club International; kaczp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: {Chrysler 300} 62 Sport 300 - 3 speed manual trans

Kind of related , the pin  syncro trans are all junk imho .

If you shift really fast , the pins shear off their carrier and drop into the mesh = boom .

I can say this for sure —as I had a 57 D500 stick , blew 10 of them ( hey I was young ) , 1-2 shift is impossible . Old man transmissions   . =You Pause on way to 2

Later had 60 318 stick , blew up same way but gears beefier .

I saw 61-62 larger mopar 3 speed in a friends ram 383 plymouth station wagon , he never blew it up, but impossible to shift  fast ( Chevy three speed , a crazy design , was even worse ) . Mopar still had the pins .

T10 4 spd  shifted beautifully , a friend with 60  270 hp 283 corvette 3:70 gears won a lot of races never stepped on cutch in a race . He once broke off  the lever at the roll pin. Trans never blew up .

My cure was Packard 3 speed OD . along with 392 in 57 dodge , after blowing up 2 D500 engines —- gears are twice the size ( width ) of mopar , huge cone syncros . Trusty spark-o - matic  floor conversion , 29$ from JCW ; I broke off shifter too at threads . Ended up with 392 head bolt cut off the head , drilled 8 ball . Glued on . Redrilled links for short throw . B and  B 3800 lb 11” oil truck clutch , velvatouch metallic clutch disc  . THAT held a392 stick !!! On banzai starts ,3:70’

But T 85 3 spd has cone synchros also very good ( in police fords 57 up , T birds, trucks maybe before , behind 312 interceptor ford ( the 312 sound great , but dogs) . Mopar put T 85 in max wedge ( 61 62) as their own was a total dog to shift fast .

Jim Bartuska had a full factory introduction   documentation set about that 61- 62 higher torque mopar 3 spd transmission . We discussed all this , it still had the pins …

Direct report from the summer of 62…

Sent from my iPhone