Re: {Chrysler 300} Brake switch for silicone fluid

Re: {Chrysler 300} Brake switch for silicone fluid

that design you describe with  a bellows or snap disc is the right way to make the switch . Maybe there are several designs out there . Mine had contacts in the fluid which surprised me . I forget exact mechanism , I was just after contact condition . The white stuff was definitely non conductive
But varying designs , leaks or not,  with bellows or not , might explain wide variations in experience with these. Maybe Harley switch has contacts in air, as you describe .

I really like standard products too , the old blue streak line .You are probably aware they are trying to deal with low prices of cheap imported junk by having two lines , same part number , but  a T added to the cheaper “ ? imported” line , not sure if higher price line is BS or not .I trend to trust them . That is an honest way to handle that .

However on a constant hassle jeep / mopar PWM radiator fan speed module ( 90’s through ~ 2004 ) I ended up with three , all obviously totally  identical , two branded Standard and one Gates . All the big guys are rebranding the same Chinese junk to make $. Gates makes belts, not electronics

On the jeep Grand Cherokee or other mopar if anyone is interested , I designed a circuit to change the  PWM speed control signal  ( pia stock mopar unit and replacements fail all the time, of course in heavy city traffic  on the  hottest day of the year with AC full on — You cause the traffic jam . it is behind headlight under  battery on a WJ , huge job to get at it , up there in utter access   aggravation with mopar paper AC cores and paper heater cores !! 2000 $ labor to get at those  . Whole dash , all of it,
 and console comes out. 200 wires .
Local good  guy  mopar shop “ won’t do it anymore “ even for  2 k , “ junk the car , not worth it “ Or no heat / AC

 so now computer signal in my GC pulls in a beefy 30 A relay , fan goes fully on and off , runs as needed by computer = no more hassles .
Failure of this 20$ thing can cost you an engine , if you walk away leaving it idling . I was lucky — caught in nick of time , coolant screaming out boiled off two gallons . Engine was still ok. Happened twice before , without boiling  but had not left idling . You do not know it is dead , it just overheats ( no  fan ) but if on highway or moving it cools ok   .All the damn error codes —-yet none for fan not turning .

While on this , despite big rep that they really  foster , SPAL fans are junk too .Stay away  Hardened dowel pin in drive coupling from motor to blades breaks like glass  due to terrible design, slip fit of pin in shaft . That wrecks motor shaft and fan bushing . Should be a spirol pin 25 % larger and longer too .
The guy talks real nice to you for a long time , the fans keep breaking the pins . Right .
Talk does not fix incompetent engineering , but marketing guys think it does , blame it on customer . Pin has to handle max available motor torque - what part of that most confuses you?  Plus it uses brushless motor , that design is really not compatible with PWM speed control . Corvette guys having same issuers
Dealer says “not giving you another one again ”  … he is fed up too . Have to drain car to get fan in and  out , one shroud bolt inaccessible

Jkg

Sent from my iPhone