{Chrysler 300} electric choke on rams

Dyke —  that was a great post .
Changing whole carb as some have done takes away a very good part of ram carb , the special idle air valve , which lets both carbs close fully —preventing  possible linkage stop  issues from interfering with two idle throttle stops etc on stock AFB .

I have an F I converted to manual choke like a J or max wedge , it was a bad mistake ( score a big one for the originality guys!) .

So now , seeing your post , I went right at keeping the factory carbs working as designed , like you did , — but fixing the erratic F thermal warmup  choke ( why I had the manual ideas) .

But Edelbrock wants 95 for that kit . Ripoff .
So wrote to them trying to buy idle pull off piston , arm and that link with tab . Response “ only available in kit “  2$ part if that . looked at soldering a new brass tab to old arm etc . I think it can be done .
But -

In process of doing this i find National Carbs in Jacksonville Fl on ebay  They have a kit FFP-1478-ECK to do this 47.45 each . Hard to see what is in it on e bay pix , but decided to take  a chance . 2 kits . Save 100 $
Came next day (!) , in this kit is a whole new die cast choke mechanism housing that attaches to carb by three screws , the 4 th hole is a vacuum passage — they arranged an o ring recess in new piece right there to seal vacuum feed .

Already in it is a new piston arm and link with a round pin sticking out to engage the heater coil that is covered in a slippery plastic . Better than carter or edelbrock . no sticking nice and smooth action . Smart .
heater Coil itself is very well
made . Impressive  . new black cover too , might work modified somewhat on other heat choke designs , like air draw , / vacuum which is still functional with this electric . Not done right —you can cause a vacuum leak (I learned stuff from all this ) . Black plastic can  is under full manifold vacuum , — always wondered why a gasket there . Now we know .
I have not put in the car yet , assumption being if Edelbrock  fit , as you describe this does too .
Big step ahead I think , throw away exhaust heat riser valve , restriction it causes , and associated hassles like a melted ram bottom ( happened to me .. they rust stuck shut ) and both sides coming off choke at different rates . = Stalling
thank you Dyke !
john g

Sent from my iPhone

---