Re: {Chrysler 300} Torsion Bar Spring Rates - 1963 300J review Car Life

Re: {Chrysler 300} Torsion Bar Spring Rates - 1963 300J review Car Life Mag

hi henry ,
No , I do not think winding or unwinding the setting changes  the spring rate , that is a fixed  characteristic of the bar . It only changes the initial deflection at a given load or ride height . So initial twist was a design choice set by fixed spring rate and fixed ride height?  All interact ?

Weaker bar would need more initial twist for same ride height , and then twist easier from there .

Maybe the sprint car had some more elaborate way to change the ratio of wheel travel to spring twist , so forcing a higher load into the bar for the same wheel force , thus it moves less or more , as if changing  the bar spring rate ?

If one could change the length of the lever ( control arm ) that could change the effective spring rate , but in our cars that is an imperceptible effect .. can’t change it

Your shocks may be too aggressive ? Shocks can be too stiff , “ better shocks” is a  misnomer , stiffer is not always better for either the ride or getting wheel to follow the road . The original factory spring  rate and matching shock rate are a tuned system , And you can lose that tuning — by too stiff a damping rate .

Even the name “ shock  absorber “ is misleading , they are actually dampers to avoid spring oscillation yet allow the spring to move just easily enough to absorb the shocks, without continuing too far , inducing bounce and lack of control

To stiff and the road shocks go right through the shock to frame . ( spring can’t move) Too weak ( worn out) and car bounces up and down , overshoots on bumps , leans a lot on quick turns  .

A NYer bar probably fits , but not what they were after with 300 ?

Sent from my iPhone