Re: {Chrysler 300} Motor Oil Zinc

similar story here . How could  they just have made junk parts like this ?
although someone like comp HAS to fix this .
And I think they have , as you don’t hear of this like you used to . Zinc or not ….

The last time i used solids with the .016 oil hole in the face , after much back and forth in head .
“ you are making a problem where there was none”  might be true - we will see.

I don’t know enough about lubricants to comment on zinc levels etc , but if they are reduced from an optimum determined very  carefully long ago by bright guys , pre catalyst, returning to somewhere near that seems to have no downside ? combined with consistent polymer length in the oil means predictable inherent oil performance , particularly over a temp . range .

Another thing is weight . … people who do not understand it equate high pressure as “good ” but what it really tells you is that restricted flow is happening inside the small places in the block . Like lifters and rod bearings , as the pump output volume is always constant per turn. Thick oil raises pressure because it is hard to push it through small places . Is that “ good?”

 I learned  this info two ways , twice by  rebuilding Y block Fords over a 5 psi idle pressure , only to have 5 -6 psi after a perfect rebuild , and found nothing wrong inside either , They have a small oil pump ..

A well known old timer in rebuild business in Syracuse NY I used back then simply commented “ they all do that “

 Yet despite other issues they have a reputation for bulletproof bottom end reliability like a slant six .  .Slant six is on this edge too .  All 55-57 fords the red light flickers at hot idlle , which disturbed me a great deal at the time ( 17-18 yo) in my first car .

But the second part of learning in this area really confirmed all this . I did not realize till l read an  SAE paper on hydrodynamic oil pressure in the rod bearing space that the pressure in there caused by the wave of oil it slides on (acts  like a surfer) is of the order of 3000 psi or more . ( i forget exact numbers ) because the rod DOES push down that hard on about an inch or two of bearing area . It is the traveling wave trapped in there that lifts it away .

So if you think about it , all the gauge pressure is doing is getting the oil to that space . Whether 5 or 60 psi at oil feed hole is lost in 3000 , obviously, at least for street engines  .Also why “splash lube “ oiling worked in millions of Chevy sixes until 1954 . Like many others I simplistically thought the gauge pressure was lifting the rod by making the space full of oil ( EE should stay out of ME) .
But before this insight  I had a hemi cuda with 480” and milodon  external line oil pickup ,pump and  dual oil filters . Listening to “experts “ who are not , i had straight 40 or 50 race oil in it . One day I started it and both oil filters exploded .

Max wedges when they first came out sheared oil pump drives over this too , owners blamed the hex drive ( it was later beefed up by heat treat etc) but running thick oil was in play too .
As we get older you realize a group of very smart guys spent a lifetiime designing this stuff . They know far more than I ever will , and they settled on 10-30 and lately even thinner ( Toyota) . And it was not influenced by irrational  opinion or  vocal “ racers” endorsing a brand . Toyota engineering is fantastic , as irritating as that may be . 250k NO problems. Not my thing , but still …

Early hemi 331 had all these problems in development , circa 1950 , cam wipe etc . as it could rev higher with dual points etc . and dual valve springs , they added spring loads to support that. Heavy exhaust rocker .  They had a hard time , but got there. I trust them , not “ stories”   or anecdotes .

That said,  opinions will soon become beliefs and that is ok too . But thinner or correct oil cleans out rings , lifters etc and cools , and will carry dirt to a good filter , — so the  “designed in “ high flow “ is good . Don’t  slow it down . Use the oil recommended , is take away .. And don’t worry about gauge pressure too much unless a change happens . It will drop when hot — further confirmation of all this ..
Hopefully all this is behind us now .

Sent from my iPhone