Re: {Chrysler 300} 1962 Trans Gearshift Control Unit

Re: {Chrysler 300} 1962 Trans Gearshift Control Unit

Hi , Matt
Heads up , be careful of back up light switch , fragile and tabs easily bent and broken , and mechanism sticks inside too . main reason I have been in there on a complete car was that switch .A single drop of oil run in with the switch flipper upwards does wonders for inside toggle . You can’t find new , and I have taken them off and apart but end of day all it needed  is slight oil  lube to work right . I even converted two over the years to a real 15 A V3 microswitch screwed to side .

the other thing— When into whole car resto put the thing on bench i soldered short wires to switch , then connectors to harness make it like the light bulb , fighting those connections  sticking straight out of side of it adds to fun.  i’d put a drop of weatherstrip adhesive on forks when putting buttons in so they can’t fall out behind the plate . I broke a few of the forks trying to squeeze forks for  tighter  fit —-they don’t  like that . Hardened steel can break off if you bend it . Makes for a very bad day .

I know not this is responsive as to how to get it out , but doing that twice is not on the menu
I did eventually get it out after a fight , don’t remember details and yes that sharp edge is brutal .
Why change cable? what went wrong ? fix cable instead ? usually bulletproof ?
Sent from my iPhone