Re: {Chrysler 300} soliciting feedback on an idea

Re: {Chrysler 300} soliciting feedback on an idea

First off, the mopar  motor is very special as it has two field windings , it is “ series “ DC motor where power goes  into one field or other then into brush then  out of other brush to frame of motor ( ground) .
the two fields are wound opposite directions so magnetism of field reverses , ( armature does  not , current direction is the same through brushes ) .
This avoids a reversing relay required with permanent magnet motors and many competitive wound field two or three wire motors , or else 3 wire motor with one or the other component ( F or A ) able to be reversed vis its two leads , = a relay , same as permanent magnet type .
So looking the same may not matter if different inside but one can add the relay .

A bad thing about no relay etc in the mopar design is only one field is 0n so = half the torque possible with both  , = larger motor , but worse of all a heavy current must be switched at each  location beating  up the switch , a problem we know well and also lots of heavy 14 and 12 ga wires at every switch , plug connectors at switch gotta be perfect , stiff harness , wires break at doors .

Ok , so same thinking as you , I coincidentally worked on 02 Jeep pw motor ( cable drive windlass type ) made originally by Bosch. Amazingly small permanent magnet really powerful . I used  it to after pull from Jeep ( 200 k miles) cable ends are plastic ( junk design) always break off . I made an electric wiper drive myself on packard from it came out great , but had to slow down with 5 V power  Got rid of windlass etc changed to crank  .

Now in this approach you get a new motor of modern design AND a new gearbox all in one , 1/3 the size of ours .
This led to more looking — for one with a pinion drive like ours and  I found one , i think used in 70’s Cordoba etc .
Only ~ 22$ brand new , Dorman  . requires relay , that is easily worked out , did it already , a small relay added at each motor .
But the problem  :
Unbelievably the pinion pitch is different maybe metric ? don’t know .
So this becomes from my view a mechanical problem . Recut sector ? press some kind of pinion adapter and move all of it back with spacer maybe 3/4” . Spacer could be bolt pattern adapter too .
I get into all this as it sadly turned into atomic mechanical project due to pinion , but otherwise terrific answer to all PW problems gear box included , if it fits . Same form factor as old one , but much much smaller , says it ought to go . I shelved all this .
Comments welcome , I can do electrical side , for sure ,
By the way 1/2 the current , PM motor runs at constant speed too , like a shunt motor .
No more speed changes to speak of with load , which problem is inherent to series motor mopar used .
Suggestion how to ? make new pinion on round of  steel rod , blank , bore or drill a hole in back , fits tight over Dorman pinion , put 3  6/32 allen set screws aligned to hit between teeth .
Cannot take apart gearbox , looked at that a mess to do  . factory sealed .
Just throwing this out there .,
John

Sent from my iPhone