Re: {Chrysler 300} 1965 Chrysler 300 L Manual 4 Speed - For Sale

Re: {Chrysler 300} 1965 Chrysler 300 L Manual 4 Speed - For Sale

John, I am in complete agreement with your sentiments.

The 300M was not a K car variant but an LH variant derived from the 1993 Cab Forward cars. Our President, John Begian worked at Chrysler at the time and can weigh in far better than I.

I suspect Mother Mopar such as she now is will return with a powerful gas car in 2024. That is what I hear and read.

The new inline 6 joins similar designs from Land Rover and Mercedes Benz. These 3 engines were developed principally because they can be built on the same tooling as the 4 cylinder engines, given the V8's are now history. They are likely the last new gas engine designs from any maker.

What's more a straight 6 is the best possible design for a gas car engine abandoned in the past only because of its length and packaging issues.

The straight 6 is naturally balanced and therefore smoother than even the best V configurations. It has one head rather than 2, two sets of valve gear rather than four, one intake manifold and one exhaust manifold. It's nearly perfect design was why Mercedes stuck with a straight 6 until 1996 and BMW never made any 6 but a straight one. Today most over-the-road trucks employ a straight 6.

I am hopeful that a forced induction 6 under the hood of a new sedan will be worth waiting for. We may be pleasantly surprised.

Danny Plotkin