Re: {Chrysler 300} Slow starting when the engine is hot

Re: {Chrysler 300} Slow starting when the engine is hot

i had one hell of a time with this when 16 yo !
And saw it later on other chrysler starters ,this on one  year old dodge in 1960 318
So new battery , new generator timing ok starter turns too slow . And battery showing high charge rates new regulator ( had few $then!)
What happens is the insulating phenolic bushing where the main power goes into the starter on those with no solenoid on top , maybe the others too , gets loose because phenolic shrinks or someone overtightened the nut under the wire terminal . The phenolic cracks , the main stud touches the frame shorting out most of the power but only while cranking .
So be sure that nut is reasonably tight before putting on heavy wire so it cannot move sideways , or be loose ,  take it easy on upper nut . if you spin stud you destroy starter inside AND cause this short .
been there 3 times over the years twice fixing what someone else did
Sent from my iPhone