RE: Diagnostic Help Requested from Good Ears...

I'm guessing this is a dual cable trans... check the adjustment on the parking cable sounds like the paw is falling back into place and needs to be corrected.

From: Allen Sullivant <dart440@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Diagnostic Help Requested from Good Ears...
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:56:12 -0600

Gents (and Gals),

I'm in need of some diagnostic help on a noise my Dart is
making.

When in reverse, and to a lesser degree in a forward gears,
the old gal has taken to emitting a dry, rasping, rubbing noise,
sort of a "scree  -- scree -- scree".  The higher the speed in
reverse, the faster to noise.  It's been doing this a while now,
and just today has been joined by a clattering noise (similar
to rocks in a wheel cover or holding a twig in the fan blades
with the engine running) when coasting/slowing to a stop.
The source of the noise is really hard to pin down.  Just from
somewhere under the car.

The brakes feel fine.  Tranny fluid is good.  No obvious leaks
around wheel cylinders or of tranny fluid.

Now, here's the interesting part:  when I slip the car into neutral
while still rolling backwards or forwards all the noises stop.

I'm thinking this: U-joint.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Allen Sullivant