To: "62 to 65 Mopar list" <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>; "318 Poly List" <318poly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 1:04 AM
Subject: Need some suggestions...

[AD removed for archives]
** Get Your Own Support-a-Cure Yellow Bracelet for $1.99 **
Show your support for finding cures for both AIDS & Cancer.
Get yours for just $1.99. This bracelet makes a difference.
caacVlObNYX9Xa/Penn Media

OK guys, it's getting to be crunch time for me.

As I think most of you know, I can't finish the Polara 500 in time
before we leave Alaska, and that means I can't take it with me.  :(

The guy that was considering buying it - well, he's afraid of being in
the same dilemma I was...that being the complete and total lack of
parts for the car here in Alaska (body parts specifically), and the
amazing cost of getting things shipped up here (2-3x the cost of the
part, usually).  I don't think he's gonna buy the car.

SO - that all being said...if you had a '64 Polara 500 that was
completely rusted through on the cowl and parts of the firewall, but
the rest of the body (all doors and panels and all trim) were in good
to really good condition, would you try and hang on to the car for
restoration, or just part it all out and start over from scratch once
you get to the lower-48???

I am seriously wondering if towing this thing all the way to Michigan,
and trying to get it running there, is worth the extra $$$ and time.

Does it make more sense for me to part it out, keep what I can, and try
to find a good body car in the lower-48?  I've got the TTI headers,
aluminum dual-quad intake, and a bunch of other hi-po parts already.
The 318 Poly is about 50% rebuilt.  The trim is in excellent condition.
Front bumper is good.  Hood is good.  Front fenders are good.

If I'm to part it out, is there anything specific I should NOT take
with me?  I think I'm somewhat limited by what the Coast Guard
will/will not let me take.

And - most important - what are the chances of finding a decent (decent
= NOT rusted out) '64 B-body car in the lower 48 for NOT a ton of
change???  The Coast Guard pays well, but I'll never be rich!  :)

Thanks for the help guys.  I'm looking forward to your replies.
Andy
64 Polara 500 (still!)