Re: hubcap questions

[AD removed for archives]
caac8uaa/PermissionData

The small cap that coiver just the centre of the wheel and the lugs/nuts is
called a hubcap.  The large one that covers the whole wheel is not a hubcap
but a wheel cover - check any Mopar parts book.

The hubcap was standard on the majority of the cars into the 1980's.   Even
Chrysler Newports during the 1960's had hubcaps standard and you paid extra
for wheelcovers.  The cop car and taxi hubcap of the 1970's (the ones with
the wholes) were variation of the cap used for 'civilian' vehicles without
the holes.  In the late 1960's and early 1970's that same cap was used with
the Dodge 'fratzog' for Dodges and with "Plymouth" stamped along the outer
edge for Plymouths.

They were also called dogdish due to the fact they looked like a dog dish
when viewed from the back side.

As for rarity, it depends on the year and make.  In 1963, for example, of
the 198, 399 Valiants built in the U.S., 35.8% had hubcaps while 37.8% of
Darts (153,922 total production) did.

The late 1960's version fit all Mopar wheels, from Valiants to Chryslers.

Bill
Vancouver, BC