Re: How to race a street driven max wedge. Follow up!

Re: How to race a street driven max wedge. Follow up!

[AD removed for archives]
Get a FREE* MP3 Player - yours to keep! Click Here Now!
caadeMpbOyW3Na/MP3 Player Giveaway

very well said,
one of the local 62-65er's has a 550 hp at the flywheel 440
in his 63 fury, he has been to the track a few times, has
gotten down to low 12's.
another local 63 fury has cross ram 440 that runs 11.60's,
that is very fast, borderline streetable.
these are both very well done cars.

most cars doing 10's  have electric fans, pumps,
no alternator, light bumpers etc etc..

mine is a 550 horse full street set-up that has run a best
of 11.32, thats after several years and changes,

don't get me wrong, i hope it goes 10's, good luck

nhra has changed roll bar rule to 11.49, that is also ihra rule.

tom
65 satellite

Doug Ahern <D170A833@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

a few years ago at the Commerce, GA All-mopar southern nationals
there was a very nice DD-1 blue 62 Dodge Max Wedge car, either
a clone or the real thing. the car didn't look to be setup
correctly, it had a heavy California rake goin on along with some
odd-ball rear spring helpers. impressive under the hood, with
all the right visible MW components in place... the car ran 14s
and 15s.. I seem to recall that the following year he had some
of his problems sorted out and was running in the 13s. Though
I've never met the owner, I've seen several of the cars he has
restored (all 62-63s...) and they are beautiful cars! the guy
is no slouch and seems to really know his 62-63 stuff...
my point being is that these cars don't always do exactly
what we expect the first time out of the gate. that goes
double for most of us who haven't built as many engines or
cars as someone like Don Dulmage. If the car doesn't run
an 11 sec 1/4, don't be too disappointed, you may need a
few runs, or a few trips to the track to sort it out.

At an NMCA event back in the mid 90's, there was a red
71 EV2 Hemi R/T or Super Bee competing the street stock class.
it was a beautiful car, and while he built it to compete on
the NMCA circuit, it was a flawless restoration. he ran
lots of 15 sec passes....

then there was the Dream Car Garage duo's (Peter & Tom)
muscle car shoot out where the Hemicuda finished dead last
in all the acceleration tests including the 1/4 mile. for those
of you who didn't see it, it was a dark day for mopar fans... the
cuda lost out to a LS6 Chevelle, a BOSS 429, a T/A 400,
a W-30 442 (not even a 68 Hurst/Olds), a Stage I 445 GS (not
even a GSX), and a 390 AMX (and Peter genuinely wanted that Hemicuda
to do better!!!) imagine the shame that Hemi owner felt the day
that was aired....

One thing I've always carried around with me is the shame of
building a nice 440 and seeing it run a 17 sec 1/4 on its first
pass... and then an 18, and then finally a 16.... back at the
drawing board, and after talking to lots of experienced racers
I learned adding HP raises the MPH in the 1/4 and improvements
to the rest of the car (i.e. the chassis,, i.e. suspension, rear
gear, torque converter, etc) lowers ET's).. of course, having
the chassis setup right from the git-go is essential for a good
pass.. the problem with my 16sec 440 B-body? bad rear springs,
a 2.94:1 open rear, and a 3000rpm B&M holeshot TC. the 727 would
shift to 3rd gear *after* the traps...!!! and sometimes, the
850cfm DP Holley would run out of gas right before the traps!
(that was the 18sec ET...). stock 318 Scamps were running better
than me that day... (anyone on the MML in the 1994-1995 time frame
might recall the threads....)

I hope you and your MW fare much better than the blue 92 MW car,
the EV2 71 Dodge, and, especially, my 440 B-body, but, if it
doesn't live up to your expectations, have patience and know that
you weren't the first find out that a car might have some teething
problems and be in need of some sorting out....

[AD removed for archives]
Erase wrinkles without Botox! Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to
reduce wrinkles by 68% Click here to start your free trial today.
caadfBNbOgXg2f/Nexiderm

----