Derusting via electrolysis--an experiment

Derusting via electrolysis--an experiment

Hi guys,

So I was trying to get some of the many rusty parts I've acquired back
to good shape.  I had investigated having them treated or dipped but
just wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money.  I stumbled across a
website that describes using electrolysis to use reduction (the
opposite of oxidation, the process that causes rust) to re-convert
rusted metal back into its original form.  This is the same process
that paints like "Enduro" or whatever the stuff is called that makes
you stuff look grey when its finished.

The parts are ridiculously expensive, so for about $10 and a few hours
of time (mostly spent hauling 5 gallon buckets of water from my hose
to this remote corner of my property) I setup this little tank.  Not
sure how its going to work, but the exhaust manifold was SO rusty
it'll be a good test.

Here are some pics of what I did: http://tinyurl.com/6lftg

Website I used:
http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp