Re: GM HEI

[AD removed for archives]
Sign up today for a No Annual Fee Discover® Platinum Card and get?
0% Intro APR on Purchases & Balance Transfers for 8 Months, Up to
2% Cashback Bonus® reward on your purchases & 100% fraud
protection.
caadfzUbOyW3Na/DiscoverCard

Hi
         On a conventional breaker point ignition system the ballast
resistor is a rectangular porcelain object with two terminals at each end
(approximate dimenions are 3/4" x 3/4" x  3" ). The purpose is to reduce the
voltage to the ignition coil during normal operation. It is generally
bypassed during starting to allow a higher voltage during that brief time
period.
With the Chrysler electronic ignition system two styles were used a
"Dual"ballast resistor
which had two resistors in it , one to drop the voltage to the coil as
previously described and a second to drop the voltage to the Electronic
control unit . This is the one Dennis is alluding to and the one "everyone"
says caused so much grief  and usually prompted the
carrying of a spare. The second style has the same purpose as the one
described above for the conventional breaker point ignition.
The "condenser" (cylindrical single lead object) that sits beside the coil
is used to reduce or eliminate spark interference  in your radio. Older cars
had one on the Generator and the voltage regulator too to quell  "noise".
Theres also one built into the alternator.

    Regards
     Wally