bored hole or piston.

[AD removed for archives]
Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
caadAcrbOyW3Na/ProductTestPanel

Nowdays the hole or cylinder is finished to the 030 size  and the piston is actually smaller than that allowing the manufacturer to control the piston clearance automatically. It was not always so but manufacturers had so much trouble with people fitting pistons too tight that this method which is a no brainer  was adopted.
If the engine is to be abused (Drove hard ) then we still add a bit of extra clearance for safety.
I remember when i was training  being at a TRW engine clinic. The instructor said an i quote.
"When we say a piston need .003" clearance , that means that is the MINIMUM clearance that piston can survive with. The same is true for bearing clerances. If the spec is 0015" to 0025" if you fit is less than .0015" then IT WILL FAIL. That low figure is not the ideal spec. It is The Absolute MINIMUM that will survive. The same applies to Piston Skirts."
For the most part the change in making  the clearance on the piston and using a standard bore size (ie +.030" or +.060") has reduced the problems greatly however we still see every year someone trying to build a big 440 engine with small block chevy clearances. They are always done in a chevy shop and they always fail within a week or so of firing the motor.
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)
http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises

[AD removed for archives]
Erase wrinkles without painful injections with Nexiderm SP.
Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by 68% Click
here to get your 30-day free supply.
caadAclbOyW3Nf/Nexiderm

----

bOyW3N.