RE: Engine problems---HELP

[AD removed for archives]
FREE Zoobooks Elephants ISSUE and tiger POSTER!
Is your child reading? Zoobooks is guaranteed to improve
your child?s reading skills. Click below to sign up now!
caadCUzbOyW3Na/Zoobooks

Roger,

I hope you have done all I am going to suggest, but lets cover all the
basics.
First, make sure your really at TDC. Remove the spark plug on number one
hole - Drivers side front cylinder - rotate the engine until both valves are
split -
what I mean by that is both are loose and the piston is at the top of the
stroke -
check your timing mark and make sure it does indicate TDC. If not, you have
cam installation issue. If it is, when you drop the distributor in - if you
have the
pump - distributor gear installed correctly - the rotor should be pointing
to about
2 o'clock looking at it from the rear (inside the car) ie on the passenger
side looking
from the front of the motor about 7 o'clock. If not, and your sure your have
TDC right,
and your intake and exhaust valves are split, it does not matter, it just
won't be factory
correct - this confuses many people - refer to your factory manual for
correct installation
of the pump/distributor drive - it is not hard, the slot should be inline
with the crank shaft.
By having it installed like that, then your rotor will be in the factory
position. If it is not,
it is no big deal to wire the plugs starting from where ever the rotor is
pointing.
By starting your plug wiring at where ever the rotor is pointing then follow
the firing
order - which you have right - then the cam, distributor should be correct.
As a double
check run your firing order and make sure all your valves are split when
each cylinder
is at TDC.

If your starting the motor, and it quits as soon as you move the key from
the start position
to the run position, then you have a bad resistor. If it is backfiring - I
would suspect that
you have the plug wires incorrect - that would be my first assumption...

Earl

1964-Sport Fury, 383. #1cyl at tdc, timing mark on crank pulley just below
the 0 as the book says, rotor facing #1 cyl, firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
counter clockwise. It will not run for more than 10 seconds, sounds like
crap, Tried everything except valve adj. New Lunat Voodoo cam, 494 lift, 1.6
roller rockers, ported & polished heads, Holley 770 St Avenger, which
probaly needs a new power valve as it has been backfireing every time i try
to start it. Any suggestions from anyone as why this thing won't run
smoothly? No Mopar people around my area. Had some Chevy guys try to helpo
and i had to re-do all they did just to fir it up temp. It just will not
run, and when i put the valves in, i know they are adjusted right! HELP????

[AD removed for archives]
The Patented Natural Weight Loss Product Is Now Available MiracleburnR is
the only product with Hoodia & Advantra-Z Get a Free 7-Day Sample plus a
Free Promotional Gift Card
caadCUVbV1hOjf/Urban Nutrition

----
topic.  Thanks!

[AD removed for archives]
The Patented Natural Weight Loss Product Is Now Available
Miracleburn® is the only product with Hoodia & Advantra-Z
Get a Free 7-Day Sample plus a Free Promotional Gift Card
caadCUVbOyW3Nf/Urban Nutrition

----

bOyW3N.