Leaking '64 convertible hydaulic cylinders - easy fix

Leaking '64 convertible hydaulic cylinders - easy fix

[AD removed for archives]
FREE Zoobooks Elephants ISSUE and tiger POSTER!
Is your child reading? Zoobooks is guaranteed to improve
your child?s reading skills. Click below to sign up now!
caadCUzbOyW3Na/Zoobooks

If your problem is that the top won't go up or down, this probably won't help
unless you are out of fluid because of a leak. This is for leaks around the
shaft. After being thrown out of a couple of hydraulic places, I finally found
the right guy. As I suspected, my leak problem was just an O-ring around the
shaft. I have attached a pic of all of the parts in the order of assembly. The
O-ring I.D. is 1/2", he gave me both 90 and 70 rings. He was concerned that
the pitting of the chrome on the shaft might require a 90. I couldn't get the 90
in, in order to press it I would have needed a sleeve over the shaft. The 70
seems to be working fine. The only trouble I had was that the holes in the
snap ring are quite small. I finally found a use for those "genuine Swedish
files" I bought at a yard sale 5 years ago. Anyway, it was a 20 minute job after
the pistons were out of the car. You will need some very small picks to get the
fender washer and leather wiper ring out, also for the old O-ring. I didn't
have any brake cleaner handy so I made do with WD-40 to clean out the seat for
the O-ring. That was pretty crummy from remains of the weathered O-ring.

If I were doing the job again, I would look for a pipe that fit snugly around
the shaft and use that to seat the o-ring.

You will be told that the cylinders are "crimped" and are disposable. This is
true if the internal piston is shot. This is only a repair for leaks around
the exposed shaft.

If pictures will help, go here:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=QuestionAnswer&Number=1795224&fpart=1&;
PHPSESSID=629c855ad55e2c55e5fa343ef8c82f3c

Then open the "attachment" in my post (this is in the upper bar) for a
picture.

Another tip from a convertible top guy. He recommends jack oil instead of the
ATF. A little thicker and won't leak as easily. Makes the top a little slow
in cold weather. I don't put my top down much in February.

Tom Faust