cheap horsepower

hi gang,
a friend who runs a 440 crossram 63 fury was telling
me about the time his alt/pump belt came off when he
was racing, the car picked up a full quarter second,
when he realized the belt was off (the car was getting
hot), he put one back on, the car slowed back a
quarter second.
needless to say he put an electric pump and fan on and
now is a 1/4 second faster.

many of my racing friends laughed when i shared this
story, saying that was not possible.

well, last weekend, i rigged up a motor to run my
pulley for the pump and fan (a 7-blade)(no alt), just
a short ribbed v-belt, guess what happened,
exactly .25 seconds faster, i ran with and without a
few times and that is what happened repeatedly.

i have a always used a shutoff for my alt, so the car
will kill with the shut-off switch, but it makes no
noticable difference in the timeslip, whether it is on
or off.

i paid 75 bucks for a moroso pump drive kit, and it
seemed to control the engine temp well. (though my car
never goes above 180)and it was hotttt and humid.

tom
65 satellite

(now i suppose i will have to buy an expensive battery charger.)