the valve covers off.
Schuyler 62 Dodge Dart 440 wagon w/ Poly 318
<http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-wrobel62.html>
On Aug 20, 2005, at 4:02 PM, Ben Jr. Morgan wrote:-

If this is a poly car, the oil return holes in the heads get plugged up when really old dirty oil goes through the engine...I had one in a 647 Dodge, and monthly I'd have to take some wire, remove the valve covers and clear these out as the oil would back up and overflow the umbrella seals on the exhaust valves, so I'd get a huge cloud of oil smoke following me when driving it. Best way to keep this from happening again is clean the engine out the best you can: remove oil pan and clean all gunk out of crank case, under the intake, and under valve covers. That stuff can be like an inch thick and will scrape off with a putty knife.

----- Original Message -----
From: Allen Sullivant
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2005 3:36 PM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Ol' Smokey....

Greetings,

Brought that 66 Belvedere (the one I asked about the rubber
plugs for before...) home today from Kentucky.  110 miles in 97
degree heat, no problems.

Best I can tell the car has only had about 1200 miles (including
my run home) put on it in the last 8 years.  The oil was full
when I left, but obviously ollllllllllldddddd and dirty, so once
I cooled down I ran it up to the Valvoline place and got it
changed out.  I'm lazy that way.  Put in 10W-40, or at least
it was supposed to be.  Anyway, on the way home the car
is now laying a trail of white/blue smoke, definitely a bit of
oil burning.  I've got my suspicions of what's going on, but
I'd like to hear you folks' ideas.  BTW, the car has 89,300 one
family miles, and by the look of the engine compartment it's
never been rebuilt or anything.  It's an "estate car", so I can't
really ask questions of the previous owner and expect an
answer :-)

Thanks in advance,

Allen Sullivant
Brentwood, Tenn.