several answers

[AD removed for archives]
Erase wrinkles without Botox! Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to
reduce wrinkles by 68% Click here to get your 30-day free supply.
caadVJZbOyW3Na/Nexiderm

We use a steel 383 crank (or 361 for tat matter)
Crank welding is done on a crank welding machine designed expressly for that purpose and operated in the shops by usually only one man who is skilled atthe craft. The machine is usually a submerged arc  wire feed welder. The arc is submerged to eliminate possiblity of a dirty weld.
I would only recommend  sending out and having it done.
So you want to know maybe have i ever tried welding  one mself  just to see?
What do you think? Most of you know me  by now.

The rev faster thing I am afraid os just not in my scope of thinking. When we are trying to move a 3500 to 4000 pound car how fast the motor revs because of rod ratios  , weight of parts etc etc isnt in the scope of things significant.
I have built two motors  trying this for the customers. One the 460  (Chrysler power  96 econo $1500 big block ) which we reconstructed with  ross light weights and 440 rods (instead of 400s) just to see and gained absolutely nothing.
Also the Ford 300 T bucket that won the Saturday  nostalgia meet at Hamburg New York (Lancaster)a couple of weeks ago is also one of my motors.
I have built it with 300 rods and the longer 240 rods with custom lightweight pistons.
i dont believe there was any significant difference.
Not because i think it doesnt matter but i believe at the RPMs use normal people can afford to opeate in it is not a factor. I thik below 6500 Rpm it is not a factor.
it may be even higher but i think that is where i start looking for weight reduction and rod lenghts etc. Especially over 7000.
I might be wrong but this seems to be my experience.
440 stroking. Well you could put 400 pistons in a 440 and have the crank stroked  to fit for 000 deck , or even with the 73 smogger 440 pistons.
The 482 stroker is a 440 block the stroke os 3.96. I hade it welded , stress relieved (most good shops would have a welded stroker done just as a matter of course) Usually you havce to wait for a few days when the stress reliever is doing a whole batch of parts but I leave this to your crank guy.
Street and mild bracket cranks we use as ground. Really violent stuff i hard chrome as it is bullet proof. it is expensive though.
Also with welded strokers you must use H series rod bearing not P series. ie 527H instead of 527P  because of the wider fillet from building up the crank. (Stock cranks have a undercut fillet)
Don

Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)
http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises

[AD removed for archives]
Buying or Selling a Home? Get the Facts Before Buying or Selling!
Get a FREE Home Valuation TODAY!
caadV2pbOyW3Nf/Home Valuation

----

bOyW3N.