From: Don Dulmage
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 7:54 AM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: how big is too bog, how small is too small?

[AD removed for archives]
Need Emergency Cash? Get Up To $500 Now!
No Credit Checks, Easy & Fast Approval
Cash in you account Overnight!
caadVJ4bOlZxua/911PaydayAdvance

Re stroking. it depends on the cylinder head selection. for iron heads i would stick with 440 cubes or under  (400 stroker  426  included.)
for edlebrocks  out of the box  may be a bit more but i prefer to use them to extend the RPM range above 6500 with a 440 or smaller  (451 would also be in this catagorey.)
With Indy or similar killer heads you will need to push the 440 above 7400 to get an improvemnet in et. or increase the cubes to use the flow so we are now into a high buck motor.
However sometimes all we gain by stroking is more torque  ealier at a lower RPM ie no extra HP unless the heads are exceptional .
Why? because for instance 440 at 6000 pumps the same volume of air as a 383 does at 6500 (approx) if the same amount of air /fuel passes through the engine all things being equal and they will be since the heads are thesame Hp will be about the same. if the guy with the 383 gets the gearing and conveter right to match his combo exactly he will be on pretty equal footing with his 440 pal who while he has more torque cant turn the extra RPM and there fore can run as much gear.
If you burn the same amount of fuel  you get the same amount of heat . (Heat energy is HP in an engine)
to take it to extremes. lets say a 440 would pump as much air at 6000 as an 880 cube engine would pump at 3000.
So bigger is not always better. Only of we can stick the extra torque to the ground (and with 440 or bigger that is a major job)  and only if the cylinder heads can feed an engine that big. otherwise we get the same Hp at lower RPM  cause the heads are done flowing earlier.
Greg Bolt  was thinking of going with a stroker in his belvedre before we rescued his motor from Chevrolet builder disease (It used the parts fromthe book but was originally build twice by two guys at chevy small block specs. ie .0015 on the mains or less and .002 or less on the rods)
AnywayThe stroker guy he was now  dealing with builds lots of good hi dollar mopars but told him right up front he would have no more HP that this motor , just more torque lower down.
My comment was "well you cant stick the torque you have now to the ground what are you going to do with the extra?"
Anyway as you all saw , he is happy now.
There are a lot more factors involved and i have a lot of  discusion about it at the end of my tech page on my website.
This isnt the be all end all of it but it is food for thought.
Lets put it in perspective. Do I or my henchman Wager ever  go to the track and pull up to the line in fear of a high dollar mega cubed stroker being in the other lane?
No.
Don

Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)
http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises

[AD removed for archives]
Erase wrinkles without painful injections with Nexiderm SP.
Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by 68% Click
here to get your 30-day free supply.
caadVJYbOlZxuf/Nexiderm

----

[AD removed for archives]
Erase wrinkles without painful injections with Nexiderm SP.
Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by 68% Click
here to get your 30-day free supply.
caadVJYbOyW3Nf/Nexiderm

----

bOyW3N.