Ok ! Some good info here !
 1. You own it already !
 2. It was going to be pulled anyway.
 3. It ain't right!
So...Based on the above ( IMHO )
 1. Pull it
 2. get a big box
 3. totally tear it down(put the parts in the
box..don't lose them !)
 4. Now you should know what was wrong with the
engine.
 5. Rebuild with the knowlege of what needed fixin'!

Please don't think I'm being "flip"...I just bought a
440 engine from a junk yard that said it "was knocking
some" when it was surrendered for salvage...upon tear
down I found it wouldn't turn over because it has lost
the cam gear which caused it to "jump time" and bend 2
rods into "U's" and the resultant "sudden stop" broke
the cam shaft into 4 pieces...I bet the driver went
home for clean linen...believe it or not the block was
fine, cleaned up at .030 in the bore and the 452 heads
('76) cleaned up just fine...there are many reasons an
engine "won't turn over"...opening it up (if you do
it) cost nothing but time...

Bob Fortson
)