RE: Don't need a 1 ton

[AD removed for archives]
Buying or Selling a Home? Get the Facts Before Buying or Selling!
Get a FREE Home Valuation TODAY!
caadV2pbOyW3Na/Home Valuation

Diesel is great.  I love my '03 cummins.  Unfortunately, the price of
diesel here in CA is just over $3/gal.  But I still get almost 19mpg on
the highway in a 7500 lb 4x4.

For those interested in a smaller diesel vehicle, here are a couple to
think about...
Volkswagon pickup, Isuzu Trooper, and a small number of Jeep Cherokees
came with a diesel.  You'll have to search for them, but they are great
vehicles, albeit without a lot of power.  The Jeep's motor is from
Renault, if I remember correctly.
  Also, you can buy premade biodiesel, make your own, or filter and burn
waste veggie oil.  A co-worker recently bought an early 90's F250 4x4
for a commuter vehicle.  (What!!)  He put a second tank with a warmer
unit and gathers waste veggie oil from the local restaurants.  Starts
the truck on diesel, then switches over to the oil, then back to diesel
before he shuts down.  Costs him a few dollars a month to drive.  But he
does have to go around to collect the oil, then filter it.
   I may do the same, but there isn't much info out yet on the new
cummins engines, so I'm watching the other forums for bravers folks to
do it first...
   TP

jaltemoose@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Doc,
>
> There's nothing special about a diesel running veggie; it'll run
> regular diesel just fine, so long trips aren't a problem.  The veggie
> is the trickier part.  The veggie has a higher flash point than the
> diesel.  There's two methods I know of:
>
> 1. You get a 'distiller' type apparatus that makes lower flash point
> diesel.  You filter the veggiet, add lye to get the right ph, and add
> some racing gas type additive.  This can be burned straight up and
> costs about 70 cents a gallon.
>
> 2. You can put a kit in your truck.  It has a second tank with a
> 'warmer' for the veggie, and a switch to switch from diesel to veggie.
>  You start up using diesel.  After 5 minutes or so, the veggie warms
> up enough where it will burn, so you flip the switch and run just
> veggie.  Then a couple of minutes before you stop, you flip back to
> diesel to purge the system.
>
> I like method one since you don't need to modify the truck or remember
> to do anything.
>
> - Jim
> Jim Altemose, Long Island, NY
> '63 Polara 500 (Max Wedge), '65 Belvedere I (Street Wedge), '71 Bronco

Tony Puig
Mountain View, CA
'65 Coronet 500 'vert
tpuig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

[AD removed for archives]
Get up to $1500.00 Fast and Easy!
No Credit Checks! No Paper Hassles! Nothing To Fax!
Apply Online and We'll Contact You Within the Hour!
caadVJ0bOyW3Nf/911PaydayAdvance

----

bOyW3N.