Re: Don't need a 1 ton

Doc,

There's nothing special about a diesel running veggie; it'll run
regular diesel just fine, so long trips aren't a problem.  The veggie
is the trickier part.  The veggie has a higher flash point than the
diesel.  There's two methods I know of:

1. You get a 'distiller' type apparatus that makes lower flash point
diesel.  You filter the veggiet, add lye to get the right ph, and add
some racing gas type additive.  This can be burned straight up and
costs about 70 cents a gallon.

2. You can put a kit in your truck.  It has a second tank with a
'warmer' for the veggie, and a switch to switch from diesel to veggie.
 You start up using diesel.  After 5 minutes or so, the veggie warms
up enough where it will burn, so you flip the switch and run just
veggie.  Then a couple of minutes before you stop, you flip back to
diesel to purge the system.

I like method one since you don't need to modify the truck or remember
to do anything.

- Jim
Jim Altemose, Long Island, NY
'63 Polara 500 (Max Wedge), '65 Belvedere I (Street Wedge), '71 Bronco