Re: tti headers

[AD removed for archives]
Need a new Cell Phone? A BlackBerry 7250 could be yours free! Find
out how!
caad32RbOyW3Na/Amazing phone

I bought the TTi nose-to-tail kit for my '65 Coronet 500.  This was 2-inch
tubes to 3.5 inch collectors, to 3 inch pipes through Dynomax mufflers
(Ultraflows, I think).

TTi's expensive, but I got a 10% discount through club.  TTi's fit excellent,
an outgrowth of their state-of-art (computer CNC, etc.) factory equipment.
I've been to the factory, it reminded me of Edelbrock's, clean, professional
and efficient.

The larger 2-inch tubes are tougher to install, but do fit right.  Things
will go a lot easier and less scratches will occur on the beautiful ceramic
coating if you undo motor mounts, and transmission, use lift to move motor partly
up and out.  I taped pads on a lot of stuff to prevent scratching.  It goes a
lot better with two people, one to move motor about, one inserting the headers.

The pipes & mufflers install straightforward.  The emeregncy brake cable does
rub on the top of the big pipe, but my engine builder said it's not a big
deal.  I'd still feel better having a longer cable, or re-mounting cable somehow
for learing tube, but have gone forward for now.

I also went with the newer Dakota truck-style smaller, but high-torque
starter, access to wiring connections easier with the big headers.

The first time I had the TTi's in, I had ported 906 heads, the sparkplugs are
very close to touching on a couple of the big tubes.  Later, I installed
Edelbrock heads, which offer the advantage of angled sparkplug holes, gives more
clearance for plugs.

On the first install, I found it hard to connect wiring to stock starter.
The second time, I pre-wired the new small starter and hung it from clothes
hangar wire until time to bolt it in after headers on.

The Dynomaxes sound great, I like not having the typical Flowmaster sound.
At the track, the waterbox guy at the dragstrip complimented the sound of the
exhaust.

On first install, used standard-type exhaust gaskets w/reinforcement around
ports, did develop an exhaust leak later, but that was from my failing to
retorque bolts after a some running time.  Second install, I used crushable copper
gaskets, and better bolts.  Have only run a 4-5 hours time so far, but all OK.

In previous discussions, many offered they had good experiences with other
kinds of headers, so TTi not only option, but I think is a choice that won't be
regretted.