old reliable, 68 rear brakes , winter storage

old reliable, 68 rear brakes , winter storage

[AD removed for archives]
New Apple® iPod® nano. As Thin as a No. 2 Pencil. Stores up to 3
Days of Songs! Get it Here FREE*!
caad3PYbOyW3Na/Superb Rewards

Bob I have built 2 street engines with that cam as well , otherwise  the OR build. Mostly because the big cam is hard to tune  for some folks and it is really as you say more of a race cam. Nothing wrong with your manifold carb choice. Biggest thing is to realize these engines can handle a lot of carb area. Have fun. My appreciation to the Chevy pro guy who took the time to help you out. Sounds like a decent gent.
For winter , I put a couple of ounces of two stroke oil in the last gas tank and take ot for a good drive then park it till spring. I do not molest it  during winter  (like start it every couple of weeks) because i learned early on in my career this is very hard on everything especailly in the cold weather.
Everytime you start any engine that is when the greatest wear takes place. How would you like to be woke up for a few minutes ten times during your sleep? Would that wear on you a bit?
In the spring I fire her up, go for a blast and when its really warmed up change the oil and give it fresh plugs  and we are done.

Rear brakes and sqeal. If derum brakes are sqealing it is usally weak hold down and return srings. the sanding deal by the way is just excellant advice.
the rear are wearing prematurally because tthe emergency brake cable was not back of when the brake job was done and is plulling on the cross bar slightly all the time causung the one shoe to be rubbing all the time.  This is a very common problem even with pros as they see no need to loosen the cable because they can get the drum on and the wheel turns but if you look the shoe is sitting slightly off the pin when the shoes are centered  on the backing plate. That should  not be.
As a former service manger of a large shop i used to have to almost physically beat on my guys to get them to do this (and have on more than one occasion actually done so. ) however when we were warranteeing the job we could not afford to have this problem.
Hope that helps
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)
http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises

[AD removed for archives]
Did president Bush react quickly enough to hurricane Katrina?
caad3P2bOyW3Nf/Nationwide Survey

----

bOyW3N.