Port matching

[AD removed for archives]
Oprah vs Dr. Phil- who is your favorite? Vote now.
caad6r9bOyW3Na/Your opinion

Port matching eliminates the possiblity of a flat section standing out in the  air steam against the incoming air from the manifold runner. Other than correcting that the actual port size of most our engines is more than suffucient for all  but full race applications. POWER is found in the bowl under the valve in both intake and exhaust. There is a bit about it in the OR book. Problem with porting is what is pretty and looks great often doesnt work well. Till flow benches came along no one knew this  and many hours were spend making super smooth polished gentle curving ports. Often when put on the flow bench they will flow less than stock in fact i once tested a set of MP Direct Connection ported heads (factory port job) that would only flow 67 percent of what a stock 452 head would. I am not a big fan of the templates either if the truth was known. I tested them here on my bench so it isnt just an opinion. They are better than nothing though.
Ideally the area behind the valve should be straight for as long as possible with a slight taper outward toward the valve (70 degreees for example) but there are limitations in height in the design of the stock heads not to mention  water  is close to the far side edge of the port just above thevalve guide boss. . Aftermarket heads always correct this by making the valve pockets longer. Also was used in the original MAx wedge heads to improve flow. (Somebody should remake them with the original post shapes. Apparently according to Dan Davorak and I believe he knows what he is talking about the new Max Wedge heads are a fudge of the modern port shape with the bigger port size  )
The trick is not to get too carried away . Use the cabbage rule "quit while your a head."
OR go to a shop with a sunnen or serdi valve machine and have them use their special valve pocket cutter  to cut the seats for the 214/181 vqalves an cut the valve bowl. This will produce a very good shape and with some minor blending will give you a very good  consistant shape in every pocket. Current price here is $12.50 per pocket.  After blending gasket match your ports to be sure nothing is hangling out in the airflow path and you will have a really good set of heads with a minimum of worry. To get more power even cc to NHRA specs.
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)
http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises

[AD removed for archives]
Frustrated by your Technology? Can't get it to work properly?
Get HiWired! 45 min over phone, problem solved. Learn More.
caad3QXbOyW3Nf/LightFrog

----

bOyW3N.