Re: Overdrive tranny

[AD removed for archives]
Oprah vs Dr. Phil- who is your favorite? Vote now.
caad6r9bOyW3Na/Your opinion

On 53 10/25/05, Earl Helm wrote:
> If I wanted to use a different trans, I would pick the 4L60E supplied
> in the 1994 to 1996 Impala SS, and Caprice Cop cars. I have this
> trans in my Impala SS and it is a great unit. Much better than the 700R4.

the 700R4 is no slouch either,  it was used in GN's and GNX's, all 13
sec cars.  the 4L6E is a continuation of the 700R4.

Chrysler did a great job with the A727 & A904, but did a poor job
designing the overdrive versions (the A500 and A518)  the OD units
failed a good bit.

back in the early days of hotrodding, putting a Buick engine in a
Chevy, or an  Olds in a Ford was  perfectly acceptable if it
"got-r-dun".  nowadays the hobby has moved so much in the direction
purist thought, that a GM tranny in a mopar is outrageous behavior.
If it works, isn't there some "ain't it cool" factor to give the
guy?

I have a Super Stock magazine from about 68 or so with a R023 Hemi
car feature. the car was being campaigned in SS with a GM 12 bolt
rearend.  Being that it probably was original racer that did the
modification,  how many of you, if in charge of restoring it to
its original heyday of racing trim, would install a Dana or a 8-3/4
in place of the 12 bolt rear end?  how many of you would opt of the
period originality of the GM rear?  (BTW: I'm not actually asking
for a vote, rather opinions and thoughts on the subject...)

[AD removed for archives]
Did president Bush react quickly enough to hurricane Katrina?
caad3P2bOyW3Nf/Nationwide Survey

----

bOyW3N.