"Two batteries" revisited, and dragstrips closings

"Two batteries" revisited, and dragstrips closings

For those who may remember the intermittent starting problem thread of
several weeks ago......changing the starter relay solved the problem.  This
delighted me, since doing so was inexpensive, and within my puny mechanical skill
level.

Meanwhile, further work on the '65 Coronet 500 approaches, I sold my '72
Norton motorcycle (sob) to finance progress.
----------------
For those in SoCal, here is some news on the dwindling supply of drag strips,
from old heads who have been reliable sources in past, but I can't vouch for
accuracy:

The 1/8 mile strip at Irwindale (California Speedway) is said to be closing,
time frame not told.  This is the only place the rice rocket kids have to go
frequently enough to put a dent in the dangerous street racing that "Too Fast,
Too Furious" exacerbated  here.

Fontana's strip is not closing, but will be relocated on the property, this
is prompted by the impending CLOSING OF POMONA.  Yes, the famed Winternationals
strip is supposedly closing, the reason's all too familiar.  The locals moved
next to it, and began to complain about the noise.  The County of Los Angeles
already kicked the lucrative & huge militaria/gun show out of the fairgrounds
(that eventually cost the taxpayers over a million to achieve), and now they
want to get rid of the cars.  One rumor is they want to build some kind of
amusement park.

Since Big Willie's Terminal Island closee some years ago, and Carlsbad just
recently, if the above accurate, Fontana & Bernie's LACR track at Palmdale (2-3
hour drive) all that will be left in the arguable birthplace of drag racing!

NHRA will move to Fontana, hence the strip move to accomodate bigger crowds,
etc.  There is one silver lining, the current strip placement leaves you
looking directly into the sun at dusk when racing in springtime, so that will be
one "blessing".  HOWEVER, NHRA isn't all that friendly to
regular-guy-door-slammers, they are too wrapped up into the money now.  They already cut back the
number of days Pomona would accept non-class cars.

We need a new track in Los Angeles.

----

bOyW3N.