Timing and rear-end, etc.

I spent some time today and did the 2.21" piece of paper -- etc.-- to check for a total advance of about 34deg and what I found was that the advance was about 3/4" less than 34deg without vacuum and about dead on with vacuum. So I left it alone and kept the vacuum. It shows about 11deg at idle with or without the vacuum. I finally got my tach installed and had a friend hold the throttle at 3000rpm's for the advance test per previous instructions.

On another note, I think the wrong ratio rear-end is killing the performance. Now that I have a tach I find that I'm almost never above the 3000rpm rated stall unless I hold it in a lower gear or drive over 75mph. I still have the 2:76 installed. I will be changing it but I wanted to get on the road! It has been runing hotter now too and I don't have a trans cooler yet either. More plans for later of course.

I see my winter goals as installing the new rear-end, getting the driveshaft repaired or replaced, installing a trans cooler, installing a driveshaft loop, getting the linkage changed to progressive and rewiring the dash lights and gauges. Probably this is optomistic but it's a goal anyway.

Rich Kinsley '64 Polara 4 dr 318 poly w/goodies

----

bSONJP.