Speaking of repairing componenets

I determined yesterday that my sending unit was the reason my gas guage
wasn't working, so per someone on the list, I pulled the whole unit out
of the tank without removing the tank, but it only had about 5 gallons
of gas in it. It was easy just by rolling it around as I pulled it out.
I removed the cover of the sending unit by bending up the 3 tabs that
held it on. There is a winding that spans about 1 third of the cover and
a thin copper strip soldered to the shaft that holds the float. The
strip had broken off mine, so I soldered it back on and replaced the
cover, hooked up the wire and moved the float up...the guage went up
like it should, so I assumed it was fixed, reinstalled it, then went and
gassed up the car. However, on the way home the guage only came up to a
quarter tank. After a few minutes of cussig at it, I realized I might
have installed the sending unit upside down, so I will have to run some
gas out before I can rotate it. The point I'm trying to make here
(however slowly) is that some of us might be able to fix our own sending
units if it's as easy as mine was. It's a very simple unit, and once you
get it apart you will be amazed it every lasted 40 years to begin with!
Jeff Adams
64 Polara

----

bSONJP.