To: <1962to1965mopars@>
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: Dooner , read my reply again you missed something. That other site will jus

I put a Dynamic 9 1/2 in my car this year. First time with an automatic. I think it slips very little through the traps (5400 rpm/4.1/29.5 tires). Did the drive real slow in third and nail it. Flashed to 4400 RPM. It seems to drive well but it seems a little slushy at the start. Does a valve body make this kind of difference? I'm happy with the converter and really happy with the automatic over that parts breaking and bitch to launch 4 speed.

   Akron Don

Don Dulmage wrote:
A 3800 stall converter like a 9,1/2 Dynamic for instance IS CAPABLE of 3800 Stall under full load conditions. (Big engine huge torque , trans brake or four wheel line loc and lots of throttle) That is the maximum it could ever give. mine which is one of those will allow my engine to idle at around 900 to 1100 RPM ingear without hurting it but suppose I take my foot of the brake. he car will roll ahead and in a veryshort time will be motoring along at 25 to 30 MPH. . How does a converter work ? Glad you asked. It recycles the oil inside back against itself (through the stator which stands still, locked by a one way clutch )to increase torque. When the converter begins to move the car (This is called coupling speed) The stator begins to rotate with the turbine and impeller which it can do in that direction and the stall function is effectively ended at that point. The common idea that if you have say a 5000 stall converter then the car will not move till you reach 5000 stall is just nonsense and needs to be killed and buried once and for all. The stall depends on the load the engine the brakes and is almost self adjusting. Now Why is the Dynamic converter so much better? Because when a company , any company makes a 10inch or larger converter they have to open the clearances up insdie to get the extra stall. (It now does not actually couple properly and is not efficient) Dynamic istead uses a smaller converter to start with and concetrates on making it unbreakable. As i am sure you can understand it is easier for a bigger engine to get a a higher stall speed out of a smaller converter. These converters dont have that big saggy feeling like your driving a worn out rubber band, They act n more or less normal in normal driving situations because inside they are more or less normal but have been rebuilt to be stronger than dirt! If you place the car in a position with wheel locked and engine reved the big engine can overdrive the small converter and give a bunch of stall for a neck snapping launch but if you drive it normal it will act normal because it is not far off that in specs , only much stronger. When i put his converter in yOR car. and it was a 5100 stall I dropped 4 tenths in Et and gained 3 MPH in the quarter mile and lowered finishline Rpm by over 300 RPM. I call that efficient. That was over several converters including an O69J and a B&M .His 9 1/2 street converters are similar but with street style stall.(3800 max) Why do others say all that wrong stuff.? Good question! Because they have never had one , that is why. (Wirklich Dooner , Du must bischen trauen haben. Wir lugen nicht. )
Don     Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)
http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises