Re: Butch's Website...things I need help with/ 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury

Re: Butch's Website...things I need help with/ 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury steer...

I did a little tech article on rebuilding the steering coupler
_http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-houstons-steeringcoupler.html_
(http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-houstons-steeringcoupler.html)  and  Gary was nice
enough to post it on the website.  It's really not that hard  if you have a few
tools.  A hydraulic press is nice for this, but a decent  sized bench vise
could probably be used as well.  Taking the steering  column out for this makes
it VERY easy and I highly recommend it.  Your  local Chrysler dealer should be
able to order the rebuild kit, if they don't  already have it in stock.  Just
take the part number with you.  Be  very careful when you pry off the cover of
the coupler.  If it's not  mangled, it's a lot easier to reuse it than try to
get a tight crimp on the new  cover.  The rubber seal that is partially
missing on your column is  actually called the "lower bearing".  Other than that,
the lower column is  just an empty tube with the steering shaft inside of it.
The lower bearing  supports the shaft.  Read thru the article, and if you have
questions, just  email me.

As for your steering box, I highly recommend Firm Feel.  You ship your
steering box to them, and they do a really nice rebuild on it.  I had them  rebuild
my manual box and upgraded to a 20:1 ratio.  There is virtually no  slop at
all in the box after they got done with it.  The cost seems like a  lot, but I
personally thought it was well worth it in the end.
_http://www.firmfeel.com/powerst_abe.htm_ (http://www.firmfeel.com/powerst_abe.htm)

Hope that helps a little.

Houston
'64 Belvedere