Re: Alternators

On 46 01/08/07, Bill Maurits wrote:
> Does anyone have any idea what the alternator output rating on a 65
> Coronet 318, non-A/C SHOULD be?

original mopar alternator rating were paltry..  like 35amps standard,
and 45amps..  GM alternators were double that at the time...  anyhow,
the two groove pulley was for AC cars,   the AZ/Advance
alts have rationalized the single grove to the two groove units,
since a two groove works where a single grove used to be.
the single groove alt pulleys are drying up, so don't turn your pulley
in as a core!

2-3/4" pulleys were standard,,,  ... original 2 groove pullies were
3" I think the drive pulley on the crank was bigger too, so the net
affect wasn't a slower turning alt.,,.  there was also a 2-1/2" pulley
used on maybe just police & taxi...

make sure you have a good connection between the BATT lug and your
battery's (+) pole.,  and make sure your engine ground strap is
in good condition.  next, make sure you've got good connectivity
on the field wire form the alt to the VR.   short the two VR wires
together (if you have a 60-69 style VR) and see if the charging
improves..,, this is bypassing (and thus testing) the VR.

I always spec out a  73 Chrysler NYer with AC.., thats a 65amp
"squareback" alternator with two field lugs.. on the 60-69 VR
system, you have to ground one of the two field wires on the
isolated field 70->later alts...

> The car does have a brand new electronic voltage regulator, and a
> fairly new battery. With the old alt, it would discharge SLIGHTLY @ a
> stop light IF I had my signal on.

is the new electronic VR a 70->later style VR or a 60-69 style with
a circuit board and an electronic VR circuit as a apposed to the
original mechanical VR ?

----

http:///u/?..