Fwd: Rustoleum paint job

I don't know what happened the first time. I will try to send this again....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lee Sumpter <leesumpter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Jan 26, 2007 8:34 AM
Subject: Re: Rustoleum paint job
To: 1962to1965mopars@

I read the posting about rolling on the rustoluem paint from another Mopar
board about a year ago. I decided to try it on my 93 Dodge pickup. My truck
is(was) the light metallic silver/gray color, and every where that something
had made even a tiny nick in the paint, it started peeling away within a few
months. It had started looking pretty ratty, because parts of the hood and
top had started rusting.  I decided to go with the Rustoluem gloss
black.Iwet sanded/scuffed it with 280 grit. Then I carefully taped
around the trim.
I used the rustoluem gloss black in spray cans around the trim, and where
the windows, etc. were taped up. Then I "experimented" a little with how
much mineral spirits to thin the paint with. (A couple of trials required
sanding off the goofs.) After I get it where it worked good, I rolled the
whole upper portion of the truck. ( Below the belt line trim, the paint
color is blue and in good shape, so I left it alone.)  I have a few runs and
minor "ugly spots", but it would be very easy to sand them out and touch it
back up. (I may do that one day if I ever get any spare time. LOL)  I did
not do all of the fine wet sanding and polishing, etc, like in the article,
but I think it could be done if I wanted to put forth the time and effort.
But for the 95% improvement in the appearance of my work truck, I am very
happy with the results. I don't think I would do this on my old muscle cars
that I would put in shows, but it works good for a daily driver. Anybody on
the 62 to 65 list want a picture of the truck before and after, e mail me at
Leesumpter (at)  Gmail.com.

Lee Sumpter

--
Lee Sumpter