Re: 3 on the Tree to Floor Shifter

Subject: Re: 3 on the Tree to Floor Shifter

I have seen several darts (64) with factory 4 speed, both /6 and v8, but all the A-bodies had column for the 3 speed, I have only seen floor 3 speeds in the C-bodies, and Max=-wedge cars, all others were column mounted, with all 4-speeds being floor only

The valiant 6s definately had floor shifted three speeds
from the factory. My friend Porky Stein had a black 62 2DHT
with that setup.

Hurst had a three speed shifter package that came with a
tunnel piece to mount the shifter.

It made for a very nice conversion from the three on the tree.

I would imagine they were also available for B-bodies.

I believe J.C.Whitney still sells a Sparkomatic three speed floor
shifter that is also very nice.

We did the Hurst shifter on my brother's 65 Valiant back in the 70's.

It was not a difficult job

rob and the ferrets in phx

Talked to my brother...his valiant was a 63...with three on the tree....

So from that, and other posts,..the 60-62 valiants and lancers had a three on the floor available

63-later three speeds were on the tree...a four speed on the floor.

On a side note, anybody needing a bell housing for a slant six i have a couple
on ebay in nice shape, one for three speeds and one for three speeds and overdrive
four speeds.63 date code and 81 date code.
mopar bell housings or mopar bellhousings should get you to them

rob and ferrets in phx

----