RE: alternator

Bob here's a tip from Don D. (on the Tech Tips Page) that should help.

"The only difference electrically in the single field alternators and
the dual wire alternators is in the 1962 Mopar alternator style single
wire field the other brush holder is bolted uninsulated to the case,
there by grounding it. To use a dual wire field on these cars, just put
a ground wire from one of the two fields to the case and plug the other
in as normal. It works perfectly and the alternator does not know the
difference. The original regulator will function fine in this fashion
The more adventuresome individual could ground the one terminal the same
as the original one is, but a simple ground on the one terminal is the
safest.

It is a very simple system. To do an Alternator Test remove the field
wire from the alternator. Clip a jumper wire from the field terminal on
the Alternator (that you just pulled the small wire off of) and clip the
other end to the large post on the alternator (battery). Start the car
and see if it charges. If it does then the alternator is fine. If not
then the alternator is Kaput. (As previously mentioned, probably brushes
as that is about all that ever fails in these alternators.) If it did
charge, then the regulator is the problem (we know that because of the
previous test (called a full field test) just bypassed all the regulator
wiring etc.). Check and see with a test light is there power coming to
the regulator (ignition key ON position) (small terminal on the side of
the old style mechanical regulators). If there is, then see if there is
any power coming down the wire to the alternator. Most common problem is
a bad ground on the regulator case, (rusty hold down screws or they are
stripped). Alternators despite their reputations are very simple to test
and diagnose. Unlike a generator system they only control voltage.
Current handled is built into the unit so testing is much easier then
with a generator system. -- Don D."

Also,
http://www.mymopar.com/alternator.htm has some date code tips.

Gary H.

P.s. you can also pull the alternator & bring it to a parts store that
has a tester machine to spin it and get a output reading.