Fixing Hood Mount Nuts

Hey Fellas:
My 64 hood has a challenging issue that I'm sure some of you have dealt with before: The hood hinges mount with 5/16 bolts which attach to special rectangular nuts that were tacked in the inner hood. Both nuts have broken off on one side of the hood. I have one of them, which does not easily fit through its opening. We can deal with all that...the real issue is, how do I secure these special nuts so they are "fixed" in position to receive the bolts without freeing up and turning? There must be some clever trick for this one...maybe some kind of special replacement nut or something.
Any suggestions?
Brother and I will be in space L14 at Carlisle.
Come on by and have a cold one!
Donny, 64 Belvedere

PC Magazine?s 2007 editors? choice for best Web mail?award-winning Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_pcmag_0507

----