rear axle seal. My God! No!

well, i  took a look-see at my rear brakes on the 65 coronet this
morning and the drivers side was SOAKED in something, whether it is
brake fluid or differential oil leaking past  a seal, i dont know.
 I figured- "oh no biggie, just  to be safe i'll  just replace the
axle seal", but according to my manual this looks like quite an
undertaking, what with special pullers and  having to destroy the
bearing to do this.
   Is this correct???  I don't know that a new bearing for that car
is going to be that easy to find.
   neal zimmerman, eugene oregon