double flareand digtal view.

As a mechanic I dont ever i under any circumstances use a single flare. it is unsafe and double flaring is a relatively simlpe  opration . the potential for failure with single flares is very high. A double flare is so much stronger and so much better sealed it just isnt worth the risk to single flare . As well when it comes to brakes a single flare is illegal. If a flare failed you would probably be charged  if they discovered it. if you have trouble with the flaring process find a certified mech (Class A  Can or ASE US) and get him to do all your flares for you.  Might cost you a few bucks or at least an extra large pizza but it would be a bargin.
Re the digital voltmeter , wonderful tool to be sure but for trouble shooting 12 volt basic power (non computer  for example) nothing is faster and more practical then a test light. I have both in my repetiore and use the test light for quick checks and use the digtal for specifics. iE charging voltage. and resistance measurements etc. Sometimes a digital just overcomplicates a simple problem. I have a talking digital meter which is really trick however a test light is almost aways my first line of defense. It takes only mere seconds to test the circuit and you dont even have to turn the test light it on or find the scale or worry ifthe batteries arecharged or wonder if thecircuit will light the lamp if your working n lighting or is there just voltage with little amperage there. .  Its results are so visual it is fool proof to use.
Of course an oscilliscope would also work with its 20 volt scale but that would be hardly practical. The Keep it simple idea when it comes to diagnosis and tesing cannot be streessed too much I believe    I sent a pal to by himself a simple  anolog voltmeter for 5 bucks last friday. he who has a tendancy to do the opposite of what I ask anyway for fear he might be actually taking my advice bought a 30 dollar digital voltmeter instead. It is to be honest a good unit however he cannot understand it because he doesnt comprehend electrical principales  and there are a lot of people who dont so i get to come and run it when he needs something tested which makes it for him a totally useless buy since i have my own anyway.  Some people just have trouble with electrical , Probably because it is silent and unseen. Even educated folks. .
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)