From: Dan McCormack [mailto:mcwheels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 8:06 AM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Git R Done

Boy I can't undersatnd why some of you haven't increased your mileage more
with a taller gear set. I have a freind of mine with a 66 Satellite convert
that has a very nasty stroker 440 in it. When he got the car it had 4.56's
in it and almost impossible to drive on the street. He switched over to
3.23's and said that he doubled his gas mileage but it only slowed the car
down less than 2 tenths of a second in the 1/8 mile.

My 63 Fury convert has a more or less stock 1972 440 in it. It does have
68 hi-po exhaust manifolds, electronic ignition, an Edelbrock RPM intake
with a 625 AFB and a K&N filter and top. The tranny is the original 361 with
a shift kit and what feels like the original converter. The rear has the
origianl 2.76 gears. I was thinking of putting on a bigger carb and
installing lower gears but since it runs like a swiss watch, has plenty of
power and gets 16 mpg on the highway I've decided not to mess with it. I'm
of the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" school. Oh it runs fine on regular
pump gas too.

The Auto Hobby Digest 8 3/4 article lists the following: Gear ratios
available on the 8-3/4" axle through the years include: 2.76, 2.93, 3.23,
3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 3.91, 4.10, 4.56, 4.89, 5.17, 5.57.

At one point I was looking for a set of 3.73's for another car I had and was
told they are very rare and were mostly used for NASCAR. (You remember
NASCAR don't you. It's that organzaion that "used" to race "stock" cars)

I still think 3.23's are the best all around ratio for the best of both
worlds however.

Dan

----
topic.  Thanks!