Re: trunk light

*Step 1.*

Strip 1" of the insulation off the end of the wire coming from back seat area
and *be** careful not to short stripped wire to car metal !
*Take a 12 Volt car bulb that only has 1 contact on bottom of bulb ( some bulbs have 2 contacts ) and touch the stripped wire end to the brass metal base of the bulb
and then touch the bulb contact to a car chassis ( you may have to
scrape some paint off for contact to make connection to car chassis )

Bulb should light meaning the wire coming from back seat area is Positive ( + )
12 Volt source. Try with or without Ignition switch turned on.
If bulb lights, proceed to Step 3.

*Step 2 *( *Bulb does not light *)

If bulb does not light then you must trace the wire coming from back seat area to front of car and
figure out why it does not have 12V (+ ) on it - It could be as simple
as a blown or missing fuse in fuse block under hood or dash.
If no luck finding bad or missing fuse, or broken wire between trunk area
and dashboard or under hood area, then you might want to consider running a new wire from fuse block or another + 12 volt source under the dash to trunk area.
I can give you more detail on several ways to do that if you write me.
Once that new wire is in, go back to* Step 1.*

*Step 3 ( Bulb lights in Step 1 )*

Since bulb lights, then all you need to do is connect the wire coming from behind seat to either the loose wire of the trunk bulb ( then the plunger switch loose wire would connect to chassis).....or connect the loose wire from back seat area to the loose wire on the
plunger switch and then the loose wire from the bulb to chassis.
( The decision is made by determining whether the loose wire coming for the back seat area is closer to the trunk bulb or the plunger, possibly saving you the trouble of having to splice a
new length of wire into the circuit.)

I hope that makes some sense.

Let me know if you need further info.

Dennis Vernacchia
San Diego

Todd Huffman wrote:
I have a 65 Belvedere with a trunk light in it. The light is inop and I replaced the bulb. I am not an electrical person so I will try and describe the set-up. There is a plunger device on the left side of the trunk. It has 1 wire attached to it running to the bulb mechanism. The bulb has 2 wires coming out of it. One to the plunger and the other to nothing. Should this be a ground wire? Also, I have a wire coming from behind the backseat that is not connected to anything. Shouldn't the plunger be receiving juice from somewhere?

Todd - 1965 Plymouth Belvedere II

----

----