Re: 1962 413?

I have heard this but I believe the 2x4 were put on the 383HP not the 413 the 413 had the two 4's on the cross ram. There were many set ups done to the 383 HP in the 60's that you would think some of them made it to the street. I know is 63/64 as I worked at a dealer ship cleaning cars that some 383's were just awsome and some were ok they looked the same 4bbl with dual exhaust etc but some sounded great and really took off . Its a shame that we can never be sure about those early cars. Dave O ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary H." <62to65mopar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:50 PM
Subject: 1962 413?

Anyone ever hear this story? I remember hearing the inline 2x4 was a
dealer installed option.

From this page: http://www.bidmopar.com/index.php?a=2&b=680

"Said to have been 1 OF JUST 50 OR LESS! SPECIAL FACTORY CARS

According to some Chrysler Historians and Factory Racers, Chrysler Execs
Tom Coddington and Tom Hoover (the Team responsible for the 426) wanted
to introduce a Performance Motor with 2 Inline 4 bbl carburetors in a
smaller car. It would use the same high nickel block as the Max Wedge
but be more Streetable as told by people involved at the time. The
Chrysler Reps were encouraging some of their dealers to special order a
few of these motors in a few select cars in 1962. It is believed that
fewer than 50 of these cars were actually built and were actually pulled
from the assembly line for the special motor install at the dealership,
since this was a special motor configuration and not part of the normal
factory offerings. The build card for this cars engine is blank where
normally the engine is listed. Like the later 1968 race Hemi cars, these
cars were built from cars that were pulled from the assembly line before
the drive trains were installed and do not correspond with their fender
tags. It is also told that these reps were encouraged to have unusual
color combinations for these cars and this one was a beautiful 2 tone.
While Plymouths built prior to 1965 have very few records, the Chrysler
Historical Society was able to find the build card on this car and it is
indeed blank for the engine. This is a rare find that has not been
documented through Galen Govier"

----

----