RE: Por 15

Good point. If the metal is structurally sound with surface rust you can
 use POR or similar product that prevents FURTHER rusting. Otherwise
replace the metal.

My understanding is that the key action these products have is
elimination of oxygen reaching the rusting metal. No oxygen, no further
oxidation. But you have to be careful: even a pinprick sized area that
does not get covered by POR or its equivalent will allow air in and rust
will continue under the POR etc.

I've coated the inside of some bumpers with POR about 15 years ago; the
bumpers were pitted and pretty rusty before but today still show no
evidence of rust coming back. I did the same to a part of the under side
quarter area and after after several years had to go back in and  redo
it as I saw rust bubbles under the POR. I missed full coverage is my
diagnosis.

FWIW, there is a comparison article posted on the Eastwood Web site that
compares POR to Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. No surprise! -- the
article favors Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator, but it is from a auto
restoration magazine and is worth reading, imho.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=852&itemType=CATEGORY&code=1CJBAN8

Lastly, one trick on using the POR: drill a hole in the lid of the POR
can and pour what you need into another container. Get a roofing sheet
metal screw that is slightly larger than the hole you drilled and screw
it into the hole you made in the can. The rubber gasket on the roofing
sheet metal screw will, along with the remnant POR surrounding the screw
hole, form a airtight seal for storage. When you need more POR, repeat
the process with another hole.

Gary H.

----